* We currently do not offer Dental Assistant Level I
- A team player
- Friendly and patient
What is a dental assistant?Dental Assistants are health care professionals that serve an integral part of the Dental Health Professional Team. You will graduate from this program with the skills and training you need to provide general oral health care, including preparing and maintaining dental instruments, dental charting, exposing dental radiographs, applying fluoride and a host of other duties.
Will I get to practice these skills?You’ll have the opportunity to apply and practice skills learned in the classroom in our state-of-the-art dental clinic. With the guidance and the expertise of our instructional team of Dentists, Assistants, and Hygienists, you will have access to a learning environment that promotes your success! While there is a strong classroom and clinical practices component to this program, what sets the Oulton experience apart is the level of hands-on practical experience and training in:
- Procedures: assisting with dental procedures, preparing instrument tray set-ups and mixing dental materials, taking preliminary impressions, polishing teeth, taking and developing x-rays, placement of rubber dams, etc.
- Community Experience: our clinic serves over 2,500 clients annually.
Will I get to have experience outside of the college clinic?On top of practicing your skills in the dental clinic, this program includes a 5-week Practicum where you will learn to work within a team, develop relationships, and learn the day to day practices of local dental offices. You will graduate from this 10 month accredited program with the opportunity to write the National Examination providing you with the ability to be licensed nationally. Term: August – June Practicum: 5 Weeks
Career Choices:There is a long list of dental clinics across the provinces who have hired Oulton grads. Our renowned dental program boasts a remarkably high placement rate.
- Assist in Chair-side Dental procedures including: Restorative, Endodontic, Prosthodontic, Surgical
- Prepare and maintain dental instruments and supplies.
- Instruct patients on post-operative and general oral health care.
- Expose dental radiographs, take impressions, do sealants.
You Will Learn:
- Restorative Dentistry
- Dental Records
- Clinical Practice
- Collect and Record Patient’s Health History
- Grade 12 Diploma, Adult Diploma or GED
- Grade 11 or 12 English*
- Grade 11 or 12 Chemistry* OR Biology* with a minimum 65% average
- Meeting with an Admissions Advisor
- Acceptance by the Admissions Committee
- Completion of the Pre-Enrollment Package
- CAEL – minimum score of 60
- IELTS – 6.0 with no individual score lower than 5.5
- TOEFL (IBT) – 80, with no individual score lower than 18
- MELAB – minimum score of 80
- Duolinguo – minimum score of 55
- Cambridge English – minimum score of 169
- Pearson Test of English – minimum score of 50