“Paralegals and legal assistants exist because even lawyers need heroes.” Unknown
- Detail oriented
- Trustworthy and reliable
The Oulton College Paralegal/Legal Assistant Diploma Program allows our students to experience the excitement and high-stakes world of law. Paralegals and Legal Assistants are an essential part of the legal team, as soundboards, researchers, you will be tasked with assisting lawyers in all major areas of law, including civil litigation, criminal, family, estates, corporate and property. You will be taught how to prepare legal correspondence and court documents to a high professional standard, and trained to research case law and statutes to be able to apply that research in case studies.
Our graduates work primarily with lawyers to help manage their client files and prepare for court proceedings, but that is not the only path open to you as a grad. The skills you obtain with this diploma will also prepare you for work in corporate legal departments, government agencies, insurance companies and real estate agencies.
You will be taught by experienced legal professionals who will give you the insight and training necessary to succeed in a legal career. Our instructors will ensure that you master the required skills through extensive practice, collaboration, and real-world experiences.
How will we prepare you for a world full of lawyers?
Our Paralegal/Legal Assistant Diploma Program provides comprehensive instruction in:
- Legal Transcription: using the latest technologies required in today’s law offices
- Law Office Procedures: preparation of legal documents, legal office procedures, legal accounting, etc.
- Legal Theory: introduction to the common law legal system, the criminal law process, family law, contracts, torts, corporate law and property law.
- Legal Research: how to research cases and statutes using a legal database
- Microsoft Office: Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Advanced Keyboarding: proper keyboarding techniques, mastery of the keyboard, and operation of the computer.
Once you have the skills, then it’s time to put them to the test! Upon completion of 9 months of classroom instruction, you will be placed for a 2-week practicum in a legal office in order to gain hands-on, practical experience in the industry.
Term: September – June