- Calm and professional
- Passionate about caring for others
- Physically fit and active
Looking for a career that demands respect, provides security, and where there’s never a dull moment?The Oulton College Primary Care Paramedic Program will prepare you for a career dealing with high-intensity, fast-paced emergency situations. Our Primary Care Paramedic program provides hands-on practical experience and training in:
- Paramedical science, both practical and theoretical, giving the ability to deliver reflexive medical care.
- Human anatomy and physiology, gaining the knowledge necessary to assess the human body and its state of wellness.
- The ability to think on your feet, understanding psychology and non-violent crisis inter-vention.
- Safe and effective patient lifting and transfer techniques.
- Critical thinking and rescue procedures necessary to quickly and effectively deal with medical and traumatic emergencies.
- Defensive driving techniques in our training ambulance.
- Physical fitness and wellbeing.
How will the course be set up to ensure my success?During the 15-month program you will train in the classroom, in on-site labs, and also different offsite clinics. You will participate in approximately 12-16 weeks of clinical and practicum expe-rience in offsite settings, to allow for demonstrating effective performance as a paramedic team member.
September StartTerm (Year 1): September – August Term (Year 2): September – November Practicum: 12-16 Weeks
Frequently Asked Questions Video
Career Choices:The need for health care is on the rise and as a result the demand for professionals in every sector of the industry is rapidly increasing. Licensed Practical Nurses work under the direction of physician and registered nurses, in order to provide care for the sick, injured and disabled.
- Ambulatory Care and Transportation
- Fire Departments
- Government Departments and Agencies
- Manufacturing Firms
- Mining Companies
- Other Private Sector Establishments
- Also as Managers, Supervisors and Directors of Emergency Services
You Will Learn
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Communication, Documentation, and Professionalism
- Pathophysiology (the physiology of abnormal states of the body)
- Medication Administration
- Paramedicine Terminology
- CPR and First Aid
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- Grade 12 Diploma, Adult Diploma, or GED
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology* with a minimum average of 65%
- Grade 11 or 12 Academic Math Level* with a minimum average of 65%
- Grade 11 or 12 English* with a minimum average of 65%
- 19 years of age prior to commencement of Practicum
- Credits from university are considered assets
- Meeting with an Admissions Advisor
- Completion of the pre-admissions Aptitude Test
- Completion of Faculty Interview
- Acceptance by the Admissions Committee
- Completion of the Pre-Enrollment Package
- Geographical requirements may apply
- Bilingualism is a definite asset
- Must have clean driver’s abstract 3 months prior to any job applications * Lower Level courses are not accepted Based on New Brunswick Anglophone High School Curriculum. For other provincial or international requirements please contact us directly.
- CAEL – minimum score of 60
- IELTS – 6.0 with no individual score lower than 5.5
- TOEFL (IBT) – 80, with no individual score lower than 18
- MELAB – minimum score of 80
- Duolinguo – minimum score of 55
- Cambridge English – minimum score of 169
- Pearson Test of English – minimum score of 50